Friday, October 10, 2008

"Two Thumbs Up!" or "Sit and Spin?"



Ever since 2005, I have been an avid follower of Roger Ebert. But whenever I bring this up with other people, they seem to scowl at this and say things like “he is full of shit”, “a sellout”, “up his own ass”, “Phony”, “Yo La Tango”. But I find that most of them don’t ever actually read his reviews. They just see the “Two Thumbs Up!” on a major studio release movie commercial and base their judgments on that. I think that is bullshit, because the man is an extraordinary writer.

He has been an active critic since the mid-sixties, so his reviews have a wealth of movie knowledge behind them.

Now this is not to say the man is isn’t without some drawbacks. For instance any movie that deals with race issues, the black experience, Denzel Washington, interracial relations…get more of a look. You could theorize several reasons for this, but it really doesn’t matter because in the end he is only human and he is obviously engaged by certain subject matter.

While I have found many of favorite movies getting poor ratings, I never disagree with his reasoning behind them, or at least I can understand his reasoning. Many critics like to insult, pan and get downright unprofessional when dealing with movies. They have an urge to Cred-Grab and assassinate art for fun. I can tell you after reading more than a hundred of his reviews, Ebert goes out of his way to understand the movie. He tends to fall back on older movies, but looks forward to new movies.
This is why today I will write about him and share some of favorite reviews of his. Some of these movies I have not seen, but the review is so well written that it works on its own.
Ebert on the stars rating:
The Genius User supported Movie Glossary:
Links to Cred Hats throughout the ages:
and introducing the worlds first and only Cred-Suit by V2 labs:
see ya tommorow

No comments: