Sunday, October 5, 2008

The No-Frills Comp Side A


The making of the no-frills comp:

In this Blog, I will take you through track for track in real time of the making of the no frills comp. And for the first time a tracklist!

The Opening segment

“Eat my dust you Insensitive Fuck” by Catherine Wheel
I went for this track because it had a nice weightless quality, with a simple guitar and singer. It’s also a pretty neat song because it has this “made up as it goes along” quality that a lot of rock n’ roll songs used had. I also chose it because it’s short, about two minutes, and feels incomplete. I acquired it on a Comp my friend Chris gave me so I don’t know how it fits into the album its from, but it definitely has a Part one feel to it. This of course led me to my next pick…

“Two Girls Part 2” by the Shane Guy Experiment

This is my favorite song off of Fall to Pieces. I find myself much at odds with the rest of the album though, which is highly experimental and slightly dismal. While I feel like the album lacks a center musically, it definitely has a central emotion and feeling. These are not bad things, just inexplicable things, so I cannot put my finger on it, which also not a bad thing, just n/a thing. The song of course ends on a highly underutilized piano (hint hint Guy Bros) and really punctuates the album. This is a closer song, and you feel the finality of it, so I need something to take right back into liftoff without compromising its flow, so I picked…

“Piggy” Nine Inch Nails

This is a track I rarely listen to when I throw on Downward Spiral, and after laying it to tape I realize the error in my ways. It’s quite an odd track that starts with a very quiet breathy Trent Reznor then escalates into a slightly chaotic yet subdued groove, like jamming out with shoes in a dryer. The track has that warm a somber feeling of two girls, but there are vocals and it is more percussive which paves a way to a greater variety of songs. My next pick was…

“Life is Sweet” Chemical Brothers (Daft Punk remix)

This track not only has a groove and warmth, its deadly straight forward. This is the only qualities that it shares with the track that it is remixing. It just goes through the motions at four on floor pace, predictably changing at every 16th, with all the winds up and stretch downs. It is a welcome reprieve from the more complicated arrangements of the two previous songs. The only problem is that my De La Soul is Dead is about dead, scratched to shit. And I am not feeling in a Tribe kind of mood so the only next logical pick is…

Track 12 Daft Punk Alive 2007

Here is a hint, be wary of using any Daft Punk track, it only leads if you are not careful to more Daft Punk. In my case I decided to go nuclear and use their live album, which is everything they have ever done, cut up and stuck together and then had a coke balloon explode in its stomach, live. There is no track title because well, there is no title. I needed to get off of this train, so after Daft annihilated the groove, I went for…

“Diamonds on my windshield” Tom Waits

I have had the Heart of Saturday Night kicking around my collection for two or three years and I only now am actually giving it a listen. Being not too familiar with this album I picked this song at random. I mean anything to shatter this four/four. What I ended up with was a nice walking bass and piano number. But I must say it ended too soon. I didn’t have time to absorb it, but there is no time so onto the next…

“15 Step” by radiohead

It is surprising how time flies. I remember when this song was new and how awesome and original it felt. Now upon listening to it for millionth time, I can safely say I need to give it a rest. But while it fits in the flow of things, and I have already committed it to tape, it is onto the next song…

“Semi-Sweet” by Tom Waits

After listening to that last Waits track, I wanted to hear more. Sure I would be violating the variety of the Comp, but you couldn’t say that the Comp will lack spontaneity if I threw another one on. I mean who would see that coming, much like the last track it had that great upright bass laying a foundation for Waits to groan and moan. Okay onto the next…

“The book of Right-on” by Joanna Newsome

I felt in an adventurous mood, and decided that we needed a long player. So I dug up Ys, or I thought I did. I threw it on track three. And I was surprised at what I had heard because I had grabbed milky eyed meander. While this wasn’t my first pick, it ended up being the correct pick, grooving like its previous track, but less in a gin-soaked chain smoky kind of way and more in an odd duck art-schoolish girly sort of way…

"Mother Earth" Dubtribe Sound System

In need of a long player I resorted to the only thing I could think of that kicked ass for 8 minutes solid, then I thought of that great track the Chemical Brothers used on the Brother’s gonna work it out. It is that kind of track that makes me wish I had faders, because to fade this shit it up ewwwww… anyway yeah great track, the guy is angrily screaming he wants his planet back and there are some hellacious sirens in it. What more could you want…

“Helter Skelter” by the Beatles

To close out the first side of the comp, I decided to go for broke and hardest Beatles track known to man was the song for the job. The level of next-ness in this track will lead you to flip it over to the next side. No seriously, flip it over because it got cut off before it ended…

This concludes Side A





3 comments:

Shane Guy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shane Guy said...

My first comment was dismal.

Either way, it sounds like a good comp. Did you really tape it? If so, I want to hear it.

Mr. Guy said...

Waits

Radiohead

Waits...

Sounds good to me!