Monday, October 27, 2008

The G4 ladies




If anyone has seen the G4 in the past 3 years you probably couldnt escape this:

and who would want to really? I mean this seems tailor made to my tastes exactly. Hot women, news on the latest video games and upcoming technology, and some of the funniest and most interesting shit that never seems to make onto the lower channels. Sure the programming is not perfect in my eyes, I know a lot of people dig on Cops Cheaters and of course Star Trek. These shows have avid followings are among the most successful on television. (well maybe not Cheaters, that just comes across as one of those "guilty pleasure" shows). I love the unbeatable banzuke almost as much as I loved the old Iron Chef.


But I am straying from the point, this article isnt about my preferences, its about this:

I take it back, preferences may have something to do with this.

Okay enough with the pictures, this article is about these women because for the most part this is all the channel seems to do with them. And I know Morgan Webb has a brain in her skull, and I buy the fact that she loves video games. Plenty of women do, and she is not only smart when she writes her reviews but also insightful. Now like the ladies on the channel she has done some model work, but as far she goes thats all the sex appeal she puts out. Now of course on the show she insists on playing up her comedic image with the equally smart, more or less unfunny Adam Sessler.

But its depressing to think that all the women on the show have to be hot. Even Blair Butler has it going on, and she is still an adjunct as far as the line-up goes.

Layla Kalie...

is short and buxum, and while she reads the news the only thing I seem to retain is shortness and her buxomness.














Now I hate the Cheat bitch... well thats not fair I have never met her. Okay I hate how she portrays or is portrayed on the channel. Her jokes feel like she read them off a prompter and she is as vacuous as the deepest reaches of vacuums. She is boring. So all I can surmise is that she plays video games and looks trendy. I seriously doubt she is nothing more than a sta....

Now of course I am leaving out someone. The one woman who generates the most heat on the channel. Miss Olivia Munn. I have no idea where to begin with her, because I have a feeling that there is either nothing other than this:


Or she is trapped by how the channel thinks she should act. Look I know she is pretty, but just like the rest of these women who are also easy on the eyes and she has some wit. Plus she is fun: But so far she just feels like pandering. Her primary subjects seem to be sex talk on "In your pants" or favorite articles on "Olivia's rack". They all lead to the same old shit. But maybe this is her comfort zone, and this is what she has to bring to the table. Thats fine, but so far thats all. I mean Kevin Perrera is genius. He is really. He is not only smart like most of the guys the inhabit the channel, he also has the ability to talk passionately about his interests and conduct reasonably intelligent interviews. I enjoy watching him. Women like Olivia should take the lead and represent the girls who I know love this stuff as much as the guys.


And these are some of the changes being made to channel that depress me. Its intelligence level is being lowered, and I am sorry Cops doesnt need to be on there. Nor do I need to hear the Olivia is going to wear a Leia slave girl outfit for three weeks before she does it and when she does its a huge deal. Nor do I need her in pumps and little black dresses every show. Okay she can wear those, I actually really like that.

But wait no thats the point, even though Olivia is hot it doesnt mean that should be the selling point. I am sure she is smart because otherwise she would not have gotten the job. Believe or not folks a talking head position is harder than it looks. If you dont believe me sit in front of camera in a studio and read clearly to the prompter as if it were spontaneous. Its not for the faint of heart.



And even though these women are smart, most of times we would never know it because they are advertised for sex appeal instead of their insight into the subject matter that they are supposed to be covering. I mean Morgan's video game reviews in FHM came attached to these:


Maybe thats the reality of Television. In order to get more viewers and stir up buzz you have to aim low... below the belt.

But these guys are a cable station, and shouldnt have to be pressured into the network format. Cable is a paid service, they could go wild and show some crazy shit. Cover some crazy shit. Their core demographic would love it. So dont be afraid to stick a narly looking dame on the show who knows her shit, I would love to hear from her. Or cover up all your girls in garbage bags and lets see who the first one to have a clue is. I know the men were rigourously screened. I mean Kevin is on the pretty side, and the trendy side, but he has got the knowhow to back it up.

I have said my piece and even though I eagerly await the day that these women are portrayed for more than just one quality, I guess I am just stuck with this:


Peace out bitches.

1 comment:

Shane Guy said...

An un-hot girl host on G4? Definately never!

Anyway, G4 is great for every reason that you just wrote, even though I haven't watched it in like six months.