Sunday, October 26, 2008

My Up My Own Ass Blog

I was chatting with my BFF Shane last night on the interweb. It has become a ritual to share shit while we chat, me usually shoving YouTube shit down his throat. While I do this he updates his Flickr with new shots, on a damn near daily basis i would like to add. Upon perusing his new shots I came upon a photo http://www.flickr.com/photos/shane_guy/2966346388/sizes/o/ of the chandelier from the Wyndom Hotel Lobby in Tampa. This really made me sad. I know that chandelier quite well, it had been there when my Dad still worked for Richland at the upstairs offices. And when I visited I wandered around this fucking amazing Hotel.

And even after my father quit Richland, he still got his haircuts and other things done at the hotel and soon so did I. I eventually took Shane there, and he quickly fell in love with the place and took several pictures of it, this included. I remember it being taken. The reason I felt sad was that was a hard year for a lot of people I knew, including myself. Also I missed my home. I missed Tampa.

And now I have Shane fucking Guy running around reminding me what a wonderously beautiful and vibrant place Tampa really is. It may not be a unique beauty, I say several parts bear resemblance to several Texas cities and other areas around the south that I have either driven thru or stayed in, the only difference is that its on a bay. But thats not why I love it, because its not the uniqueness that matters, its that I have been to most of places those photos were taken. There is no mysterious haunting qualities, just memories. Tampa, the place where I grew up.

Also when I was talking to Shane I realized something: everytime he adds new photos he loses some at the other end of the list. Seeing is how he doesnt have a Pro account he gets a maximum of 200 posts. And this would be enough to the point and shooter, but Shane has turnout close to 20 a week, on a good week. Upon searching for some of my favorites I realized that some were bumped off to make way for the new. So Today I write this blog to preserve some of the best that are still available and present them in order that I have come to organize and view.

So without further a due I present $hane Guy's Tampa: SuBurbi@ to DOWNtown.

Open these links in a new window as you cruise down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbA24Rn6TLQ&feature=related






1 comment:

Shane Guy said...

Not only have you given me the gift of The Honeycombs, you've written a(nother) blog about my pictures. I appreciate it, buddy!