Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Tampa thang, part 1 Westworld.

Westworld, Spinal Tap, Comedians of Comedy and Meeting People is Easy

I had an interesting experience the other day. I had just got home from a marathon trip to Tampa with “The Comedians of Comedy”, which I would I like to extend my gratitude to Jeremy for, it will be safe and returned within my next visit.

I popped it in my laptop and watched in its entirety before conking out around 2 in the morning. I woke up around 7 to the menu screen, which played Michael Penn’s “Down by the Riverside” on loop. I had the weirdest dream, and I think it was this song that playing on loop that contributed to it.

It was December in Pikes Place market in Seattle and I was wandering around alone at twilight shooting my exploits. People were crowding around the streets where performers had setup. I filmed a quartet singing this very same song. This wasn’t my dream. Its just that this song always takes me back to wandering around the most beautiful city in the world at the most beautiful time of year.

On that trip I shot 6+ hours of footage, which I have yet to edit. But I have dragged it out and reviewed it from time to time. I initially thought it would be cool to try to edit some of it this weekend, so I watched a ton of it. I felt very nostalgic, especially some of the Ahnna stuff, she is such a cool chick.

I arrived in Tampa later that day and chased that viewing with a dose of Westworld (1973):

I read that Michael Crichton had died. I didn’t know much about the man other than that he was an author and that Jurassic Park was based on one of his books. I read a post on by Edgar Wright on his blog dedicated to Crichton’s memory, and with some heartfelt words to the man he also posted a series of trailers for all the movies that Crichton was involved in.

The one that caught my interest was a movie called Westworld, in which has a very young James Brolin who in some moments is the spitting image of Christian Bale. Or rather in some instances Christian Bale looks like a young James Brolin.

So when I saw it on the video rack at the guy’s house I knew I had to throw it on. It has some parallels with the more famous Crichton work Jurassic Park, but on whole I think this movie is much more dense and powerful.

The story takes place in the future at an amusement park where our two character drop 1000 dollars a day to have an authentic, or rather idealic storybook adventure. The theme park is divided into three parts: Roman world, where you lie around in togas, wander the gardens and have all the orgies you want. Medieval world, where you can be a knight and relive the chivalrous days of the middle ages. And then there is West world, where you can play cowboys and Indians.

In each of these worlds the visitors interact with life like robots who are sunject to their every whim.

I wont give away to much, suffice to say shit goes wrong and the robots run rampant killing everyone. This movie, for its short run time, is rather thought provoking.

Turns out this movie was the directing debut of Crichton. And a fine debut if I say so myself.

No comments: